Re: asp.net panel browser inconsistencies

Fiona Farrell wrote:
> We have been using the W3c Validator to audit some pages on our site. We
> have come across some issues regarding the <asp:panel> control which creates
> different outputs for internet explorer and FireFox. In internet explorer it
> creates a <div> tag where FF creates <table> items.

Don't use <asp:panel>, or infact any ASP which produces different markup
for different browsers based on the UA string.  Write your own markup
instead of allowing ASP to generate it, and make sure exactly the same
markup is sent to every single browser.  The details you provided should
be plenty of evidence to prove that browser sniffing is an incredibly
bad practice, never ever use it in any form whatsoever, under any
circumstances.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/