rewrite engine for application xhtml+xml

From: Naturally Naomi <naturallynaomi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:28:05 -0800 (PST)
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
Validating     [
Dear sir/madam,

I was wondering whether I could use the .htaccess file as described on http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2003/03/19/dive-into-xml.html to serve application/xhtml+xml to those browser that do support it (such as Firefox). In order to do this, the following needs to be added to the .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_ACCEPT} application/xhtml\+xml
RewriteCond %{HTTP_ACCEPT} !application/xhtml\+xml\s*;\s*q=0
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} \.html$
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} HTTP/1\.1
RewriteRule .* - [T=application/xhtml+xml]

Does this work with every user agent that understands XHTML and XML? Or only with Firefox? Is it a good idea to use this? I have not yet changed this on my website, so that's why there is no link. I do have tested it and it indeed works (by looking on a xhtml page on my site in Mozilla Firefox, right click or control click on mac "View Page Info" and then next to type there stands application/xhtml+xml").

Thanks for your advice,

Naomi
]