XHTML problem

From: Naturally Naomi <naturallynaomi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 03:05:17 -0800 (PST)
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
  Validating
  [ Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a question concerning XHTML, which I want to sent as "application/xhtml+xml". I defined this in the document header, but documents with the .html extension still get parsed like HTML in Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/). Please see my test page, http://www.lunastoria.nl/test.html, for details. When I use the .xhtml or .xml extension, it does get parsed like XML, but this is not compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer (it is compatible with almost any other browser). I searched for this issue on the net, and found that it is possible to define the MIME type using .htaccess files on an Apache webserver at http://wats.ca/resources/.htaccessandmimetypes/32. Unfortunately, this does not work on my server. Does this really matter, and if so should I just stick to HTML 4.01 Strict (I heard XHTML was better)?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Naomi
]