A simpler Web service response format

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 18:01:21 +0200
To: www-validator <www-validator@w3.org>

I was evaluating what would be needed in order to expose my RELAX NG
Validation Service and the upcoming (X)HTML5 Conformance Checking
service as Web services.

I had a look at the SOAP and Unicorn response formats for the W3C
Validator in case I could reuse one of them. They both seemed
unnecessarily complex. Also, generating the formats requires buffering.

I wrote up a quick format draft, which I may implement in the future:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/validator-ws-ideas/#xml

I'd appreciate comment on the design of my draft format. Also, I am
curious whether there is (outside the context of Unicorn) interest or
need for making different validators and checkers to use a common
report format.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi