Different results between Upload and Direct input

From: Frank Klaver <frankklvr@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:16:45 -0800
To: www-validator@w3.org
When using Direct Input for validation I get a This Page Is Valid
HTML 4.01 Transitional!
With the same document using validate by upload it correctly gives me
Tentatively and  No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.
The doc is of-line so here is the DTD

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

No character encoding is used in the document.

NOTE: Whenever possible, give the address of the document you were
checking.