Re: XHTML 1.0 served as text/html

On Wednesday 2006-12-06 10:38 +0900, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 6 déc. 2006 à 09:19, L. David Baron a écrit :
> >It's not just legacy user-agents.  It's *all* user-agents, per the
> >request of the HTML working group in
> >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Sep/0024
>
> I cut for the sake of clarity:
>     The HTML WG has discussed this issue: the intention was to allow
> old
>     (HTML-only) browsers to accept XHTML 1.0 documents by following the
>     guidelines, and serving them as text/html.
>
> "old (HTML-only) browsers"

But what is relevant to my point (and what is the answer to the
message being replied to) is the next two sentences (particularly
the second of them), which apply to all user-agents:

# Therefore, documents served as text/html should be treated as HTML
# and not as XHTML. There should be no sniffing of text/html
# documents to see if they are really XHTML.

It's also about 7 years too late to change this, considering the
amount of non-well-formed XHTML served as text/html.

-David