Re: ID case sensitivity still not explained

From: David Håsäther <hasather@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:30:00 +0200
To: Barry <polisource@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On 8/27/06, Barry <polisource@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The validator gave me an "already defined" error when
> I used IDs that differ
> by case only, but
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.5.2
> says "id = name [CS]," which means id is case
> sensitive and IDs that differ by case should be
> considered unique and not produce "already defined"
> errors.

The specification is wrong here, since attributes that are of declared
type ID will be case folded.
This means that all of the following

and so on, will be case folded by the SGML parser (the validator) to

(the attribute name will also be case folded). Case folding is an SGML
feature, and is not something you need to understand. But now you know
why :-)

David Håsäther