Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:02:01 +0900
Cc: Andreas Prilop <nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de>, www-validator@w3.org
To: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

Hello Philip, Andreas,

On Aug 22, 2006, at 01:14 , Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Since you and I clearly differ as to our interpretation, may
> I suggest we each maintain a discrete silence until the validator
> team have had an opportunity to comment ?

I think most of the feedback page was written by me, so I'm the
culprit here. Reading your mail exchange, I think I would suggest the
following rewording, from:
[[
# Add a meaningful subject: summarize your feedback in a handful of
words;
# If our system added [VE][XX] at the beginning of the mail subject,
keep it. Otherwise, please precise which error message you are
sending feedback about;
]]
[[
# Add a meaningful subject: the system will be adding a default
subject to your mail such as "[VE][XX] Error Message Feedback".
  Please keep the [VE][XX] part if present, but if you can, replace
the rest of the subject with a clear and concise summary of what
feedback you are sending.
]]

My rationale for the situation and proposal is:
- I don't think everyone will read the instructions, and I'd rather
we received mails with a default subject than none
- I agree a meaningful subject is a big plus, especially for
searching in the archives

What do you think?

--
olivier