Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

Phil H-F wrote:

> I get the above error messages for "oncontextmenu" and "galleryimg".  I
> have an Art site and want to protect my images from being downloaded.

Browsers have to download the images in order to display them to the user.

> The above two attributes are intended to prevent IE from showing the
> little icons that automatically appear onmouseover and allow an image to
> be saved, emailed, printed, etc.

Which are nice convenience methods for IE users, but blocking them does
nothing to prevent people right clicking and hitting save, or looking at
the source to find out the URL of the image, digging it directly out of
their cache, saving the entire page including images, dragging the image
to their desktop, etc, etc, etc

> The code works but gives me a
> validation error with a response that using CSS would eliminate the
> error

The key word is "usually". There isn't anything to do that type of thing
in CSS.

> Since I am trying to be XHTML 1.1 compliant

... you should be serving your document as application/xhtml+xml

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/

... which Internet Explorer doesn't support anyway.

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>
                     Home is where the ~/.bashrc is