Dot Dot Slash notation checked by Link Checker

From: Jeffrey Chandler <jeffrey.chandler@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:56:25 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hello,

First of all, I would like to point out that I am not a web-designer,
but I have been tasked with setting up the link checker software
locally on one of our systems to check a production site for broken
links.  After running checklink from the command line, a significant
portion of the report is due to the following:

http://myhost.com/../img/image.jpg

What to do: Usually the sign of a malformed URL that cannot be parsed
by the server.
Response status code: 400
Response message: Bad Request

The link still works, but the Link Checker is complaining due to the
"dot dot slash" notation in the markup.  The links to these images
work fine from the site, but the Link Checker does not list it as
valid.

Is there a way to have the Link Checker ignore code that uses this
notation, or should our developers use the absolute path or a
different coding convention?

Thanks,

--
Jeffrey Chandler