Re: Validators, Validation chart

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:04:23 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Ian Stuart wrote:

> the "<?xml..." declaration throws IE6 into "quirks mode"

Yes, and that means a mode that has intentionally been left poorly
documented.

> and completely ruins
> any chance you have of getting the page to render evenly across browsers!

In many cases yes. For the given document, presented as a real (though
trivial) example of a small document, I don't think "quirks mode" differs
from "standards mode". After all, "quirks mode" does not mean "mess up
everything", just "behave by old nonstandard rules in ways we don't bother
telling too exactly".