skip over navigation - skiplink

From: J Williams <jmw.lives@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:14:26 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org

I have just recently been learning about accessibility issues and am working
on my first "accessible" website. I added a skiplink to skip over navigation
(per instructions on http://diveintoaccessibility.org), but since I did, I
have not been able to validate the pages. I searched for an answer, but
couldn't find one. Following is my heading:

3. <head>
4. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
5. <title>Oak Grove Designs - basic web information</title>
6. <meta name="Description" content="Affordable website design located in
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, offering database driven websites, contact
management systems, and accessibility." />
7. <link href="CSS/master.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
8. <a class="skiplink" href="#startcontent">Skip over navigation</a>
9. </head>

These are the errors per the w3.org validator for all the pages:

Below are the results of checking this document for XML well-formedness and

Error Line 8 column 40: document type does not allow element "a" here;
assuming missing "object" start-tag.
<a class="skiplink" href="#startcontent">Skip over navigation</a>
Error Line 9 column 6: end tag for "object" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was
You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to
"self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

Info Line 8 column 0: start tag was here.
    <a class="skiplink" href="#startcontent">Skip over navigation</a>

Could someone advise what is my problem with this? Do I need to remove the
skiplink in order to validate? If so, is there another way to skip the