Re: Hack is valid or not

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:53:13 +0100
To: Smay Strider <smackstrider@gmail.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 12:27:35PM +0530, Smay Strider wrote:
>    For css fixing of IE 5.0 versions i am using the hack
>    ! #id
>    {
>    }
>    is this a valid w3

The ! character is not allowed in selectors in CSS 2. I don't believe
it has been proposed for anything in CSS 3 (although CSS 3 is
currently a draft and subject to change).

>    approved hack like html > body #id {  }

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the hack is W3C approved. It is
syntactically conformant to the W3C CSS 2 recommendation. (Microsoft,
on the other hand, have explicitly stated that they do not think
authors should depend on CSS hacks and should favour Conditional
Comments as an alternative).

(I read the mailing list, please address responses there and do not CC
me. Thank-you.)