problems with W3C::LogValidator

From: Ryan King <ryan@technorati.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:32:16 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org

I've installed LogValidator via CPAN on a rather vanilla Ubuntu
install. I'm using the sample conf file (only changing it to point it
at a different log directory). However, I'm having problems getting
the validator to run.

Here's what I get:

> rking@microformats:~$ logprocess.pl -c logprocess.conf
> Reading logfiles: Done!
> Now Using the Basic module...
> Done!
> Now Using the SurveyEngine module...
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/
> local/share/perl/5.8.4/W3C/LogValidator/SurveyEngine.pm line 252.
> Invalid...  Errors
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/
> local/share/perl/5.8.4/W3C/LogValidator/SurveyEngine.pm line 253.

The error message repeats many times.

I'm not a perl expert, so this makes no sense to me:

> 250                    if ( $validatorResponse->content =~ m!
> $testStringErrorNum!ms )
> 251                    {
> 252                         print "Invalid... $1 Errors \n" if
> $verbose;
> 253                         push @result_tmp, "No ($1)";
> 254                    }

Eventually, when the errors stop, I get this:

> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/
> local/share/perl/5.8.4/W3C/LogValidator/SurveyEngine.pm line 253.
> Done!
> Now using the HTML Validator module...
> (This may take a long time if you have many files to validate)

This seemingly hangs forever. I ran it for 30 minutes and it used 0
cpu time.

Any pointers are how to get this working would be much appreciated.

Please be sure to CC me, as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Thanks,
ryan

--
Ryan King