Re: Error Message Feedback

From: Chuck Houpt <chuck@habilis.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:22:25 -0400
To: "Barrie Potter" <crisp@tyrbin.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

>Validating
>
>I have submitted my project's proposed new wab pages for validation, and
>they all passed.
>
>However, on some pages ampersand (&) and GBPound signs () do not display
>properly, but on others they do. I would be grateful for any advice on this.

I think the problem is a mismatch between the
declare and actual character sets in your pages.
For example, the About page
(http://www.flvc.org.uk/crisp/new/pages/about.html)
is declared to be iso-8859-1:

But the actual text contains UTF-8 encoding of
the GBPound sign (shown in <hex>):

---
The funding includes a follow-on grant from the
Big Lottery Fund (formerly the Community Fund)
for <C2><A3>176,000, <C2><A3>110,000 from the
European Social Fund...
---

I think if you changed the charset declaration to
utf-8, you'll find the page will render correctly.

There seems to be a slightly different problem on
the home page, which the Validator flags as an
HTTP-header vs HTML-header encoding mismatch:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.flvc.org.uk/crisp/new/index.html

- Chuck