Re: Question

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Andy Mather wrote:

> This is not a bug, but on the results page, where it says that the page
> is valid (hopefully), could the Address input box where the page URL is,
> be made longer.

Sounds like a very reasonable request to me. I guess it's just an
oversight that on the results page, the <input> element containing the URL
has no size attribute. This means that the visible width of the field is
some browser-dependent default value, typically around 20. Since URLs are
usually longer, and often much longer, a setting like size="40", as in the
validator's main user interface, would seem appropriate. I wouldn't even
object to size="50", even though imposes a relativelty large minimal
requirement on page width.

Currently, it's also a problem if you wish to print a validator report.
The input field is the only identification of the page being validated, so
it's not nice to have it chopped off. (Admittedly, the page URL also
appears in the page title, which might be printed, too - or it might not,
depending on print settings.) Perhaps the style sheet could be modified so
that upon printing, the text input field is printed as a whole (maybe by
setting overflow: visible for it).