Re: Error Message Feedback

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:33:42 +1000
To: Ed Cannon {cannone} <Ed.Cannon@mccombs.utexas.edu>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Ed Cannon {cannone} wrote:
> The validator told me "no doctype found", but the very first line of my
> document was:
>
> <!doctype HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> I was sure I had copied the doctype from somewhere on your site a long
> time ago.  So I searched and found this one of yours:

> It took me a moment to notice the difference, that in the non-working
> one it's "doctype" not "DOCTYPE".  I changed the case, and then it did
> not give me that particular error message.

In SGML, AFAIK, that's supposed to be case insensitive and the validator
shouldn't be issuing that message.  It looks like a bug in the validator
and should be filed in bugzilla, if it's not already known.

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/

> Now I've got to update a hundred or so pages from "doctype" to
> "DOCTYPE".

While it is more conventional to use the upper case version, it is
perfectly valid to leave it as lower case, so there's no need to do so.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/