Re: note from Prof Knuth

From: Steven J. DeRose <sderose@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:45:16 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org

Like Frank, I tried some of Knuth's pages. It seems like this
shouldn't be too hard to solve.

First, the errors messages are a little mysterious. Easily fixed, yes?

Second, it seems to me better user-management to keep the old DTD
around as an option, but with loud warnings and a button to get you a
list of what you need to change (either a link to a description, or
to a run of the validator forcing HTML 4 transitional, say).

Third and simplest, can't someone just put the DTD back? Disk space
at w3.org can't be *that* tight.

As far as finding the actual DTD he was using, namely
    PUBLIC "-//Netscape Comm. Corp.//DTD HTML//EN"
Google finds me the SGML Open Catalog for the validator at
    http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/Attic/catalog
last modified 4 years ago. It points merely to "html-mcom.dtd", which
lived at
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/Attic/html-mcom.dtd
but claims to have been removed:
    Revision 1.2, Tue Nov 26 00:07:15 2002 UTC (2 years, 9 months ago) by link

According to
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/Attic/ a whole lot
of other things got trashed as well, categorized as "old cruft". This
particular bit of cruft can be found, however, by going back one rev
in CVS.

Steve DeRose