Re: W3C Validator vs Schneegans

Frank Ellermann wrote:

>>> http://schneegans.de/sv/
>
> Interesting, I've just tested it.  It doesn't like redirections

That's intentional. This way you can validate redirect or error pages.
For example, <http://schneegans.de/sv/?url=http://www.w3.org/404>
shows an error.

> and insists on UTF-8 for all documents without XML-encoding

Absolutely not, it complies with <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_9>
for "text/html" and with <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3023.html> for
"application/xml" and "application/xhtml+xml".

> Apparently I should really soon upgrade all lang="xy" to the correct
> lang="xy" xml:lang="xy"

Yes, this is required for XHTML served as "text/html". However, you
can simply turn off the HTML compatibility check.

> And it told me that if I try post-modern stuff like <fieldset> it MUST
> begin with <legend>.

That's correct, see
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2002JulSep/0105.html>.

>  That's apparently true (says the nice WDG HTML4 OS/2 INF file), but
>  why oh why isn't it in the XHTML 1.0 DTDs ?

Because XML DTDs can't express such a constraint.

--
<http://schneegans.de/>                                              |