Re: Relaxed - new HTML validation service based on RELAX NG + Schematron

From: Osmo Saarikumpu <osmo@kotikone.fi>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:48:42 +0300
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: Petr Nalevka <petr@nalevka.com>

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> That was not intended as name calling. Sorry. "SGMList" was the noun I
> came up with for someone who has been involved with SGML a lot. I should
> have said "SGML expert" or something like that.

I think that Terje was not referring to "SGMList", but to the use of
words like "pedant" (saivartelija).

> But isn't it pedantic that when Relaxed is presented, the focus tends to
> be "That's not a validator. Don't call it a validator!" (even though it
> is according to the RELAX NG and Schematron sense of "validator")
> instead of focus being on the fact that Nalevka's schemas capture the
> constraints expressed in W3C spec prose better than the normative DTDs?

I'd have to disagree on the focus of the discussion (most of it I've
carried out privately with Petr). I'm sure that everybody welcomes new
software such as Relaxed. The issue concerning it's name is just one
aspect of making it better and more accurate.

>> That is, saying
 >> "Relaxed - a RELAX NG and Schematron validator for (X)HTML"
 >> instead of "Relaxed - the HTML validator" would
 >> make the title a lot easier to defend against pedants.

Validator or not, RELAX NG and Schematron are too cryptic to be included
in the name of the service.

Osmo