From: Lachlan Hunt [mailto:lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au]
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 7:24 PM
To: taylor@loopwise.com
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Re: Error Message Feedback

Taylor Reaume wrote:
> there is a bunch of errors on that, can you send me a quote on how
> much it would cost for you to fix those errros?  Thanks,

This is not a commercial operation, the volunteers subscribed to this list
don't offer their services through it.  We can, however, offer advice to
help you work through the problems yourself.

> for my site http://www.seoarsenal.com

The first thing you need to do is decide which DTD you wish to validate
against.  This includes an HTML 4.01 Transitional DOCTYPE and an XHTML 1.0
Strict DOCTYPE.  Based on the XML empty element syntax you've used, I'm
guessing you want to use XHTML; although for someone with your experience,
I'd recommend you stick with HTML 4.01 Transitional for now and don't use
XML syntax (eg. <meta />, <link />, etc.  Take out the / from the end and
just use <meta>, <link>, etc.).

Use this DOCTYPE and remove the others:

     "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Fixing those issues will solve at least the first 10 errors, though probably
many more that I didn't even look at.

For script elements, instead of using:
   <script language="JavaScript"> ... </script> (or equivalent)
use:
   <script type="text/javascript"> ... </script>

> and also, http://www.loopwise.com

This one is missing the DOCTYPE, so that validator doesn't know which DTD to
validate against.  However, while including an HTML 4.01 Transitional
DOCTYPE is probably the best option for you, be prepared that adding the
above DOCTYPE will trigger a more standards compliant rendering mode in
browsers (lookup DOCTYPE sniffing for more info), while at present, they all
render in quirks mode.

Use this DOCTYPE instead, at least to start with.

It will allow you to validate, but it won't trigger standards mode in
browsers, and thus won't appear to break many more things (although such
things would already be broken, browsers do a reasonable job of recovering).

For the remaining errors, work through them one at a time, be sure to read
the FAQ entries and search the archives first.  If you still have
difficulty, let us know which errors in particular you don't understand.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/