Re: another doubt on validator ...

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:58:20 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de> wrote:

>If it was a "known" FPI ("known" from the validator's POV whereever it's
>running) use it or a shorthand like XHTML 1.1.

The problem is that we don't actually know whether validation was performed by
resolving the FPI or by dereferencing the SI; and when the two do not identify
the same DTD the result is misleading output.

Granted there are ways to resolve this, but my current guess is that the
opportunity cost will be too high.

--
Interviewer: “In what language do you write your algorithms?”
    Abigail: English.