Re: another doubt on validator ...

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:21:25 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

>A validator should say "yes" or "no", and in the latter case, it should
>present the reportable markup errors. Trying to guess that the markup was
>really meant to be HTML of some kind seems to lead to endless confusion.

FWIW, I'm beginning to lean towards the position that the Validator should
report only “No errors found” — possibly with things like the FPI and SI listed
in the same way various HTTP header field values are reported — since the
“helpful feature” seems to cause too much confusion in edge cases.

Possibly the rearchitecting we'll be doing in connection with the next major
version will provide an opportunity to improve this tradeoff, but right now I
doubt that's the case.

Pity. I liked that feature. :-(

--
  “When you have no nails your hammer grows restless, and you begin to throw
   sideways glances at screws and pieces of string.”    -- Jarkko Hietaniemi