Re: Doctype to use? http://www.swiss-maeder.ch/indextst.html

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 10:17 +0200, "Thomas Mäder" wrote:
> I edit my website with the very old AOLpress 1.2.2. dated 1996.
> When creating a web page, it does not automatically insert a doctype.
> Since I would like to make my page W3C compatible, I would like to add a
> doctype.
> But any of the doctype produces errors on http://validator.w3.org

Which means that the software doesn't create pages that meet the
specification. To deal with this you will have to repair the HTML it
produces after its generated the page (or switch to better software).

HTML 4.01 Strict is generally recommended for new documents.

> Or is there a website with an autocorrect feature?

HTML Tidy <http://tidy.sf.net> will attempt to do some degree of
autocorrection of markup.

The trouble with this (and with using a graphical generator in the first
place) is that software guesswork is unlikely to produce markup the
accurately reflects the semantics and structure of the content. Such
tools, at this at present, make a poor substitute for knowing the
language.

--
David Dorward                           <http://dorward.me.uk/>
"Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another."