Error Message Feedback

From: Brian MacLeod <bmacleod@fiber101.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 05:33:17 +0000
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

Validating http://champ.viewracing.com

I generate XHTML 1.0 Strict pages from PHP.  Therefore my source file
for a
page is a mix of XHTML and php statements.  When I try to validate
and get
the error (can't read as UTF-8), the only feedback I get is a line
This line number does not match anything in my source and also does not
match any browser tool I've been able to find.  Debug is near-
impossible in
any reasonable time.

An improvement would be to capture and display the line containing the
problem characters.  This would allow me to search my source for the
character pattern and would be consistent with the typical set of
error feedback.

The specific URL being used here is

and I will leave the page untouched for a few days to allow for

I previously hit this type of error and was only able to eliminate it by
trashing the entire page and starting again.

Thanks in advance for your work.

Brian MacLeod