Re: [www-validator] <none>

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:09:27 +1100
To: melissa polhamus <mpolhamu@yahoo.com>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

melissa polhamus wrote:
> Could you please help me with the problem I am having validating my
> website?  The site's http is:
> http://members.cox.net/polhamus2/index.html
>
> I get the following error and I do not know how to correct it:
> "unable to validate this document because line 47 contained one or
> more bytes that cannot be interpreted as utf-8 (bytes found are not
> valid values in the specified Character Encoding) .  Please contact
> me at: mpolhamu@yahoo.com

You need to declare the character encoding that you're using.  It looks
like you're using Windows-1252 and the easiest way to fix it would be to
declare this in the HTTP headers or the meta element.

The best option, however, would be to use ISO-8859-1 or, even better,
UTF-8, but either way you need to declare the encoding properly.  (Note
that Windows-1252 is a superset of ISO-8859-1, but it is a proprietary
encoding and, as such, it's use is not recommended on the web.)

http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset

If you fail to specify the encoding properly using the HTTP headers, you
may also specify it using the meta element like this (but the HTTP
headers are preferred).

(remember to substitute ISO-8859-1 with the name of your chosen
encoding.  This must match the actual encoding of the file.)

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/