Re: Direct Input validates, Validate by URL does not

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:46:02 -0500 (EST)
To: Webbmaster hastvedapastorat <hastvedapastorat@yahoo.se>
cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Webbmaster hastvedapastorat wrote:

> After getting the "not valid" response, and correcting some obvious
> typing mistakes and saving my UTF-8 documents without BOM, I still
> had a couple of errors. I spent some time going through all my tags
> and I could not find any problems, but it still wouldn't validate.
> Then I tried surfing to the webpage, copying the source code and
> pasting it in the Direct Input validator and it validated!
>
> Do you have any idea why this is happening, and is there anything I
> can do about it?
>

> The URL is the one below:
> http://www.svenskakyrkan.se/hastvedapastorat/skiss/w3check/
> The document is called "index.shtml".
>

> Below is the error message I got:
>
> This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!
>
> Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an
> SGML parser.
>
> 1. Error Line 16, column 6: end tag for element "HEAD" which is not
> open .

Your document contains the Unicode character U+FEFF before the first
<link> tag.  At the start of a file, U+FEFF is the byte-order mark (BOM),
but in the middle of a file, it's the zero width non-breaking space.  The
appearance of loose text in the HEAD implies the end of the HEAD and start
of the BODY.

If you are using server-side includes to include the <link> tags, ensure
that the document fragment that you're including does not use the
byte-order mark.

--
Liam Quinn