Re: Validation of XHTML with other namespaces

Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> I'm trying to get a document that uses Microsoft VML to validate, very
> similar to the Google Maps
> API example at http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/simple.html

>  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
>       xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml">
>   <head>
>     <title>Google Maps API Example - simple</title>
>
> How can we validate documents that specify a namespace?

With the current W3C validator very hardly. The W3C validator is DTD
based and DTDs doesn't play very well with namespaces. To validate
namespaced documents it is better to use modern schema languages like
RELAX NG or W3C XML Schema.

> Or, how can we
> rewrite these pages so the W3C validator will handle them?

Trying to satisfy W3C validator in this case is not way to go. You
should use modern RELAX NG or W3C XML schema based validator to validate
compound documents containing elements from several namespaces. There
are several such validators:

http://badame.vse.cz/validator/
http://schneegans.de/sv/
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/validator/

For example Relaxed validator (http://badame.vse.cz/validator/) is able
to validate the following types of documents.

1. XHTML 1.0 + any elements and attributes in namespace other then
XHTML. This is useful in cases like your VML document. With this schema
XHTML content is validated and the rest of the document (elements in
other namespaces) is just checked for well-formdness, because we don't
have schema for these foreign elements/attributes.

2. pure XHTML 1.0 -- foreign elements and attributes are forbidden and
are reported as errors. You get behaviour which is very close to W3C
validator.

3. XHTML + SVG + any elements/attributes from namespaces others than
XHTML and SVG. This means that XHTML and SVG content is validated, rest
is checked just for WF.

4. XHTML + SVG + MathML -- dtto

5. XHTML + MathML -- dtto

HTH,

					Jirka

Nejbližší termíny školení: XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.
          *** DocBook 5.-7.12. *** XSL-FO 19.-20.12. ***