Re: W3C Markup Validation Service in French?

On 10 Nov 2005, at 06:46, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 10:34, you wrote:
>
>> As a consequence and since it seems possible since v.0.7.0 Beta #1,
>> we're ready to translate it for free for you.
>
> That's a worthwhile contribution to the project.

Definitely. I don't think the set of templates (in English for now)
is stable enough for an actual, broad call for translations, but we
could, should start somehow and see what works and what does not.
Therefore, no guarantee that the translations will be used as is, or
that there won't be more work when/if we figure out that we did
things the wrong way, nevertheless, the contribution would be much
appreciated. Merci, Julien.

> There are three sets of things to translate:
>   1. the validator's pages
>   2. the validator's general messages
>   3. messages coming from OpenSP (onsgmls)
>
> To tackle (1) and (2), check out the validator from CVS, find the
> English
> text, and start working.

More info:

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/ has the instructions to get the
"latest code" through CVS, which is what we use as a code repository
and versioning system.

In there, two areas are particularly important:

* share/templates/en_US
a.k.a http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/share/templates/en_US/
This is where the templates are. Translating tem means taking all the
files, and translating the english content (but not the markup,
obviously). The biggest part of the work would certainly be
error_messages.cfg, which has all the error message explanations. How
to do this: copy en_US to another directory (fr_FR or something like
that) and start translating.

* htdocs and htdocs/docs
These are the "pages" and documentation. Pretty much vanilla HTML pages.

> For (3), either join the OpenJade project[1] or just create your own
> version of the messages separately.  W3C will probably only accept
> your translations if they're incorporated into OpenSP
>
> [1] http://openjade.souceforge.net/

typo -> http://openjade.sourceforge.net/

I'm pretty sure opensp already has French and German localizations,
so that would not be needed.
Ah, here's the French one:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/openjade/sp/po/Attic/fr.po?
rev=1.1&view=log