Re: what line?

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:22:55 +0300 (EEST)
To: Mauritius Bird <mauritiusbird@dodo.com.au>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, 23 May 2005, David Dorward wrote:

> >     "Line 180, column 112: reference not terminated by REFC delimiter"
- -
> >    2. What does this mean in plain English?
>
> I *think* it means you forgot a semi-colon. I'd have to see the source
> to be sure.

Actually we don't need the source for this (though it is always a good
idea to post a URL when asking about a validator message). REFC means
a semicolon that terminates an entity reference like &auml; or a character
reference like &#228;. The semicolon is always required in XHTML and also
required in older HTML versions in many contexts.