Re: Link Checker trouble

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 20:26 +0200, Rudolf Megert wrote:

> As your LinkChecker-4.2/docs/checklink.html
> file explains, there are limits to the number of links it can check.

Actually, it says that the number of _documents_ to be checked (or in
other words, links in that many documents) is limited in the online
version.  This is not the same thing as the maximum number of links.
The maximum number of documents is 150 nowadays for the online version.

> The question if it would be unlimited with this command thing (i have
> no clue on what this means) arises,

The command line version of the link checker can be invoked in a shell
(command prompt) window.  On unixish platforms that's "./checklink", and
on Windows I believe it's "perl checklink" (assuming that the checklink
script is in the current directory and "perl" is in your PATH).  In that
mode, the code does not place any restrictions on the number of links or
documents to be checked.

> also if there is anything that can really check all regardless how
> big the database is??

As said, there are no limits in the link checker code when it's run on
the command line.  On the other hand, the script keeps track of the
processed links and other things in memory, so ultimately the amount of
RAM you have available dictates the practical maximum of links the link
checker can process.