Re: For standalone w3c validator

Shaozhi Ye wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry to bother the whole list.
> I am a M.S. student in Tsinghua University, P.R.China.
> Currently I am trying to make a large scale web page validation
> to find out the degree to which the web pages in China are validated
> against an HTML DTD, such as HTML 4.01. I have noticed that the w3c
> validator can be run as a local CGI service. However, it would be much
> quicker if the files can be checked standalone instead of being put
> through the CGI of a web server. Is there a command-like version of
> w3c validator, which can be configured by a config file or command
> options?

The underlying validator is onsgmls, from OpenSP.  You can use that
from the commandline, and write a script to validate in bulk.

There are also desktop GUI validators available, including
arealvalidator for windows, and validator-lite for platforms
with GTK (binaries available for Linux and FreeBSD).
Both of these use the same underlying validation.

--
Nick Kew