Re: [VE][79] Error Message Feedback

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:13:44 +0000
To: "[Yustas.NeO]" <4_yustas@mail.ru>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 04:52:42PM +0300, [Yustas.NeO] wrote:

Its helpful to provide a URL when asking for help - we don't even know
which DTD you were validating against.

However, since it was picking up issues inside a commented out script
block you must be using a DTD which treats the contents of <script> as
CDATA, and since you have a language attribute you are presumably not
using Strict. So I'm going to proceed on the assumption you are using
HTML 4.01 Transitional.

>           If this error occured in a script section of your document, you
>    should probably read this FAQ entry.
>
>    Why it is so?

It explains that in the referenced FAQ entry. To quote: "end tags are
recognized within SCRIPT elements, but other kinds of markup--such as
start tags and comments--are not. This is an unintuitive quirk of SGML
for elements defined to have CDATA content."

It also provides solutions.