Re: Translation

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:34:48 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q? "Ronny_V=E5rdal" ?= <ting@runbox.no>
Hello Ronny,

On Mar 2, 2005, at 22:55, Ronny Vårdal wrote:
> Hello. I'm new to this list, and have subscribed solely for the
> purpose of translation.
> Just for the fun of it, I would like to translate the
> http://validator.w3.org/ to Norwegian.

The quick answer is: you should not do it right now, but soon.

> 1. Is there any new release planned soon? I see the lastest tarball is
> from 2004/07/23.

Yes, there is, although "soon" is a relative manner. But even if that
soon wasn't as soon as you would hope, I would recommend you not to try
and translate the last released version of the validator, because it is
not localization-friendly: even if you translated the whole htdocs,
most of the output of validation would still be in english.

The development version we are working on at the moment is
template-based and will be localizable, but is still a little too
unstable to start translation right now: we will send a call for early
translators as soon as we are sure that the output structure is stable
enough to be worth translating.

> 2. If I translate the htdocs folder, what about all the given errors
> like:

(explained above)

> Most of the reason for this, is that a friend of mine owns the "w3.no"
> domain, and I'm currently using "validator.w3.no" as a vanity host on
> IRC.

If you install the markup validator on this host, please consider
adding a very clear notice saying that you are not officially
associated with W3C or representing w3c in norway...

Thanks,
--
olivier