W3C validating broken code

From: Lori Eldridge - Vaszary <info@loriswebs.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:17:42 -0800
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hi,

I'm not on the list but wanted to say that I keep using W3C to
validate my pages and it passes them and later I find out some of the
pages had broken code and I have to use another validator to find
them, things such as missing carets in table tags, table tags missing
altogether, and the # sign missing in body tag for color and link
colors.  I use Doc type 4.1 transitional on all pages.

Can someone explain why W3C doesn't catch these?

Please respond offlist also to info@loriswebs.com

Lori