Re: [VE][257] Error Message Feedback

From: J. Grant <jg@jguk.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:37:22 +0100
To: David Håsäther <hasather@gmail.com>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Hi David,

Thanks for your quick reply.

> An attribute value literal is an attribute value that is delimited by
> either a quotation mark (") or an apostrophe ('). So, hspace=2 must be
> either hspace="2" or hspace='2' (but preferably none of them).

Ah, ok, thank you for explaining.  Could the requirement of single or
double quotation marks around the value be explictly stated on the
error message?

Perhaps something like this:

======================
Line 30, column 116: an attribute value specification must be an
  have apostrphe or quotes around the value (attribute value literal)
  unless SHORTTAG YES is specified

  ...n_home.gif" style="border: 0" hspace=2 alt="Home">Home</a></td>
======================

I was wondering why you said preferably none of those though?  Is there
a better way of getting a similar effect? The site I am working on is
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/  you can see the "Home" link bar near the
top of the page horizontally.

Please include my email address in any replies.

Kind regards
JG
--
Homepage: http://jguk.org/