Re: Validator is not working even now

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:20:05 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: rahul gupta <rahul.gupta@tenongroove.com>

On Jun 24, 2005, at 14:35, rahul gupta wrote:
>  I did try that you have written but result is exactly
> same as earlier.

If the validator still does not work now that you have (apparently)
reinstalled openSP, I can see two possible causes:
- a problem with your sgml-lib (but the validator used to work, right?)
- openSP is not working as it should

One question: when you re-installed onsgmls, did you compile it
yourself or install it from a package? If you compiled it yourself, did
you use the --enable-http compile option?

> Can you explain me DOCTYPE tag in some detail.
>  Please tell me how validator works and parse the HTML through a DTD.

You realise this is a very vast topic, don't you? There is a lot of
documentation on the Web about SGML, DTDs, XML, validation, I frankly
suggest you do some research by yourself.

*very* basically,

- markup languages are defined in technical specifications
- these specifications usually provide a machine-readable formal
grammar for the language (in our case, a DTD)
- documents declare which document type their are using. That's the
infamous "DOCTYPE declaration", which uses a well-known identifier
(FPI) and/or URI (SI) to refer to the DTD they claim to be using
- parsers use this declaration to know what grammar the document uses
- validators, in particular, are parsers that compare the document
against the formal grammar (the DTD). In order to do so, they either
have the DTD in a local catalog (which is the case for the validator,
it has a catalog of the most common languages) or fetch it over the
net.

More:
http://www.tei-c.org/P4X/SG.html
http://www.is-thought.co.uk/book/home.htm