Re: Web Trends Tracking URL

David Hallmark wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am searching all over on how to defeat the "&" in the Web Trends
> tracking code but cannot find anyplace that addresses this issue.

You found the correct answerl but for some reason, you rejected it.

> When I validate the page the only error I get is in the one line.....
>
> http://www.childrensneuropsych.com/david-page2.html
>
> The img src line is just above the </body> tag.  I cannot replace it
> with "&amp;"... any ideas?

There is a difference between typing this:
   http:://example.com/?foo=hello&amp;bar=world
into the address bar of your browser, and using that within HTML markup.
  I am assuming this is the source of your incorrect conclusion, as it
is the only possible explanation I can think of.

In HTML, the &amp; character entity reference is decoded by the browser
and the resulting URI that gets requested will be:
   http:://example.com/?foo=hello&bar=world

However, if you type the URL with the &amp; into your browser's address
bar, it will not work becuase it is not processed as markup in that case.

> P.S.  I just wanted to tell you folks that I did a site and validated
> every page and got a serious boost in the search engines... Thank You!

It's unlikely that the validation itself caused a higher ranking, though
it does help if you use well structured, semantic markup; which does
need some improvement on your site.  eg. Stop using tables for layout,
use the <p> element to contain each paragraph, rather than seperating
them with <br><br>, use more appropriate alt text for the heading image,
and the headings should be marked up using <h1> to <h6> elements, etc.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/