Re: Validator is not working properly

On Jun 21, 2005, at 19:22, rahul gupta wrote:
>  I am sending a file "tng.htm", which is I am trying
> to validate
> and its result generated by my w3c-validator on LAN,
> loose.dtd is
> available there(192.168.0.11:8080/RED/), where RED is
> my web application and I am trying to validate all
> web-pages of this application though my w3c-validator
> on intranet.

You need not mirror the loose.dtd on your intranet: the validator, and
most SGML applications as far as I can tell, will prefer the FPI
("-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN") to the SI
("http://192.168.0.11:8080/RED/loose.dtd"). You may read
http://validator.w3.org/docs/sgml.html if you don't know what I am
talking about, but basically, this is not relevant to your problem, and
as Fred suggested, you should use the "classic" doctype declaration for
HTML 4.01.

If I take the tng.html you attached, it validates without any problem
in e.g http://validator.w3.org/. This proves that the problem is with
your validator instance... but we knew that.

The fact that your validator says that "the document is invalid"
without giving any error is a common symptom of a broken, our outdated,
opensp. Test it:
- in your validator.conf, find the line that gives the path for
onsgmls. It should be something like /usr/bin/onsgmls or
/usr/local/bin/onsgmls
- from the command line, run `/path/to/onsgmls -v` The version given
should be > 1.5

What I suspect from your original report that "the validator stopped
working all of a sudden" is that a system upgrade (perhaps automatic)
replaced the proper onsgmls with a bad version. Testing it as written
above may confirm that.

--
olivier