Re: 500 Read Timeout

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:44:44 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Tyler Hepworth <raklet@gmail.com>

Hello tyler.

On Jun 19, 2005, at 9:33, Tyler Hepworth wrote:
> I installed and configured the validator.  It is configured to run
> from an alias.  It is not using modperl as suggested by the docs.

This should not be an issue. I am using ScriptAlias instead of mod_perl
more often than not, and without problem.

>  When I use the option "validate by url" and press "check", the page
> runs for a LONG time and then finally times out with the error "500
> Read Timeout".

First time I see this problem happening... As far as I can tell, there
are two places in the code that are tied to a timeout: reading the
remote document and parsing it with onsgmls.

A few tests and questions that may make it easier to figure out the
problem:
- are you using a firewall, and if so, are you confident that it is
well configured?
- from the machine where you installed the validator, can you fetch the
documents you are trying to validiate (using e.g GET
http://www.example.org/mydoc/)
- did you install the sgml-lib with the validator?
- did you install onsgmls, and if so, which version? (onsgmls -v)

--
olivier