Re: Which DTD is better Transitional or Strict?

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:54:14 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Terry Dean wrote:

> Does anyone have a definitive answer to this?

Depends on what you want.  If you want "visible with any
browser" you need some of the "transitional" features.

One thing you could try is to validate against 1.1, note
what doesn't work, and then avoid _unnecessary_ stuff in
new "transitional" pages.

You could also check out what "Basic" supports, or which
subset is supported for "WAP".  My personal assumption is
that I want very simple pages working almost everywhere.

"Transitional" contains legacy stuff that I really don't
need, tons of it, but unfortunately it's the "best" DTD
for my purposes.
                  Bye, Frank