Re: Which DTD is better Transitional or Strict?

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:30:36PM +0930, Terry Dean wrote:

> Is XHTML 1.0 Transitional an acceptable DTD standard to use rather
> than XHTML 1.0 Strict!

With the possible exception of the ol start attribute / CSS counters
(which most people don't use anyway), the difference between Strict
and Transitional is that Transitional includes things that should
really be done using CSS or JavaScript. So my advice is to stick to
Strict (I'd also suggest sticking to HTML 4.01 unless you really had a
need for XHTML on the client side - which most don't).

> Especially if you are claiming to create totally
> accessible web sites?

I'd suggest you asked the WAI about that ... if there wasn't currently
a big argument brewing over whether or not validity should be an
accessibility checkpoint at all.