Re: PHP validation

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:36:56 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Rick Beton wrote:

> In addition, the Firefox HTML Tidy plugin is very helpful when
> developing dynamic content and trying to validate it.  It gives its
> validation result immediately in the browser's status bar.

Does it? I didn't notice.

> However, it's not as thorough a validator as the W3C's, so I always use
> it in conjunction with the Web Developer Toolbar > local file upload to
> the W3C Validator.  HTML Tidy will tell you when your pages are wrong,
> but not when they are right, if you see what I mean.

The Firefox HTML Tidy plugin, misleadingly called a validator,
contains several errors, and it issues misleading (and even wrong)
messages especially if you use the (misnamed) "accessibility validation"
features.

For example, if you have <a href=
"foobar">
(i.e., a quoted attribute value appearing at the start of a line),
the plugin wrongly complains as if you had <a href="
foobar">
(i.e., a line break at the start of a quoted attribute value).

Not wanting to start a debate over the plugin (or HTML Tidy),
I just want to emphasize that it is _not_ a validator,
although some of its functions may be similar to those of
markup validator.