Re: [VE][73] Error Message Feedback

From: Jens Brueckmann <jens.brueckmann@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:35:56 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

2005/7/24, K. Pudas <chrispudas@wp.pl>:

> Hi, I have encountered an ?error? with the Markup-Validator.
> I generate options for <select> </select> with javascript, so HTML source file
> is composed only with:
>
> <form name="some_form">
>         <select name="some_name" size='6" onChange="script_to_execute();"></select>
> </form>
>
> and The-Markup-Validator gives me error messages that my <select> is not finished:
> is it a problem with the validator, or just I can't change options dinamicaly.

Hi Chris,

the SELECT element _must_ contain at least one OPTION element. For details see
  http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#edef-SELECT

I suggest you put an OPTION element either empty or with a default
value in your markup.
Please do also consider a fallback mechanism for those without active scripting.

Cheers,

jens
--
Jens Brueckmann