Re: Error Massage - Why?

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:41:12 +0900
To: Jens Nestvogel <jens.nestvogel@gmx.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005, Jens Nestvogel wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I've validated some of my pages (XHTML 1.0 Transitional) and the Validator
> shows the Error massage "there is no attribute "onClick"" for line 83:
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drg-salonwagen.de%2Fsalonwagen%2Fsal39.html

Which is correct, in XHTML. Or as the message explains:
[[ How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute,
(Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both
allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this
attribute. ]]

> The funny thing is that the (exactly) same a-Tag in line 86 is not
> emphasized (and two similar a-Tags further below too).
> Can anyone tell me why this happened?

Not entirely sure of this. My understanding is that the underlying parser sometimes ignores "duplicate" errors. What rules it uses for that, I'm not sure, others may know. In any case, if you fix the error at line 83, next validation will highlight the one at line 86.

--
olivier