Re: 0.7.0 beta1 issues with "-//RHBNC//DTD HTML 4.01 Augmented//EN" (Was: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.7.0 beta 1))

Hi Philip,

On 15 Jul 2005, at 00:13, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Now what the Validator /claims/ to be about to do,
> and what it actually does, are not necessarily
> the same, so could I ask -- if you amend the wording
> to your proposed form -- will the Validator in fact
>
>     "continue in SGML mode and
>     with a fallback  DOCTYPE similar to HTML
>     4.01 Transitional"
>
> or just
>
>     "continue in SGML mode"
>
> I'm sure you appreciate the significance of the question!

Indeed. My proposed wording is in sync with what the validator
actually does. In other words, there is no doctype change or fallback
in this case (or the parser would not have, for instance, complained
about the undeclared entities).

Hope this clarification suits you.
--
olivier