Re: 0.7.0 beta1 issues with "-//RHBNC//DTD HTML 4.01 Augmented//EN" (Was: [ANN] Beta test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.7.0 beta 1))

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:04:35 +0100
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Many thanks for the feedback, Olivier.  I am most grateful
to you for pointing out the defects in my DTD, which I shall
fix immediately. As regards the DOCTYPE, however, and the
disambiguation aspect :

	> The MIME Media Type (text/html) for this document is used to serve both
	> SGML and XML based documents, and it is not possible to disambiguate it
	> based on the DOCTYPE Declaration in your document. Parsing will continue
	> in SGML mode.

	> - ... but the doctype is not in our types database with info to
	> disambiguate the mode

this does seem a slightly worrying aspect.  Presumably your
"types database" is hard-coded, and knows only about
W3C standard DOCTYPEs; do you think there is any mileage
in allowing some "disambiguation pragmat" in non-standard
DTDs, and if so, which is the right forum on which to raise
this issue ?

Philip Taylor