Re: Microformats?

Hi Karl,

I had a conversation with Tantek Celik the other day, and he
corrected my misconceptions WRT microformats (at least as he preaches
them ;). AFAICT, they only use class and id attributes, along with
HTML profiles, to add semantics to documents, and thus don't break
validity.

I.e., they *don't* arbitrarily add attributes and elements. Apologies
for the confusion.

I still think it's worthwhile to consider HTML's extensibility story
in light of the ongoing work on extensibility and versioning
happening in the TAG and elsewhere, but it's not as urgent for the
requirements of microformats. That's probably not directly of concern
here.

What the validator *could* do, however, is support validation of HTML
profiles; e.g., by validating profiles described in XMDP;
   http://gmpg.org/xmdp/

Just a thought.

Cheers,