Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:30:47 +0000
To: "UNIVERSUS (e-information)" <e-information@universus.tv>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 06:50:31PM +0000, UNIVERSUS (e-information) wrote:
>    I can't put the "marquee" in the HTML document for pass in the Validator:

For the validator to accept the <marquee> element you must use a DTD
(specified by your Doctype) that includes such an element. No
specification published by the W3C includes this element, which is not
part of HTML. I'm not aware of any third party DTDs which include it,
although they might exist.

Your choices are:

* Don't use <marquee> and avoid scrolling text.
* Don't use <marquee> and simulate it in JavaScript
* Find a DTD that includes it
* Write a DTD that includes it
* Accept that your Document won't validate.

I suggest the former. Tickers were invented to display a large amount
of information in a small area without user interaction. Webpages are
not small, and (typically) can have user interaction
(e.g. scrollbars), so scrolling text is merely something which
distracts the eye from whatever it is trying to focus on.