Re: Validator examining localhost instead of referrer

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:49:24 -0500
To: Ron Falconberry <ronfalcon@comcast.net>, Validation Crew <www-validator@w3.org>

Ron Falconberry wrote to <mailto:www-validator@w3.org> on 22 January
2005 in "HTML Validator" (<mid:000001c50102$272362c0$c2503444@homeprimary>):

> I could not find an answer in the Help or FAQ section of the W3C so I
> hope that it is appropriate for me to send my question here.

How about an advisory near the beginning of the evaluation page? To wit:

"Note: The URL you gave me, <http://www.falconberry.com/>, returned a
redirect to <http://localhost/>."

That explains the end result of the proclamation of valid XHTML despite
the non-XHTML nature of the referring document. The validator is
retrieving a document from what one presumes is a server owned and
operated by W3C.

The question is why this happens. I was unable to provoke the alleged
redirection in the HTTP header served by your Apache installation. I was
unable to provoke the alleged redirection in the document proper.
Caveat: testing was cursory.

> I am in the process of validating my web site pages under HTML 4.01
> transitional.  For the pages that I have changed to validate properly I
> have added the W3C check box at the bottom of the page.

Why? Jukka Korpela presents the foremost argument against this practice
in "Say no to “Valid HTML” icons"

“He wrote himself a prescription, and your name was mentioned in it.”
  —Leonard Cohen, “One of Us Cannot Be Wrong”